Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Change that Occurs Within

It's been about a week and half since work started to go badly and I started to freak out. I've had my ups and downs, handled it better some days and really poorly on others but you know, there's really only so much energy a person can burn before it becomes old news and you just have to move on.  I'm not a big fan of cliches but I have to say that life is too short and there are so many things worth being happy about and enjoying, too many to spend time and energy thinking only about the negative aspects of our lives.  Everything is just a moment in time.

We get so caught up thinking that all the things we're experiencing are forever but they aren't, nothing is permanent. Given enough time everything will shift eventually whether the change comes from an outside force or from our own efforts rest assured things will change. The situation may not change, the people involved may not change but that's okay because, truly, the most significant change that can occur is the change that occurs from within. 

We will never be able to control anything outside of us, believe me I've tried.  Control of anything beyond ourselves is an illusion, it doesn't exist.  When we can muster our resources to create true lasting change from within then we've really found something instrumental with which to work.  It's not easy.  I kept trying to get there and falling short of the mark, but there was a point where I really had to be okay with that too.  As long as I am trying to get somewhere beneficial for me when I get there really doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters is that we keep working on moving forward and not remaining stuck where we are.

Am I doing better with my job situation?  You bet!  Is it a permanent change?  I hope so, I think so.  All the things that were upsetting to me in the last week and a half have fallen away and I've come to a peaceful place with how things are.  That doesn't mean I like the situation I'm in, I don't, however I can now maneuver through all the irritations without massive emotional upheavals that really aren't in my best interest and that's nice.  Now I have more energy and attention for the things that are good and I'm lucky enough to have caught a few moments of grace along the way today.  Those moments of grace can make all the difference.  They don't last long, note the use of the word moments, but they are like sweet kisses from the Universe reminding us that all is well and that we are loved.

1 comment:

  1. The image of Christ walking on water is relevant here. Despite how turbulent and violent and churning the water was, Christ calmly walked above it, undisturbed. That's what that story teaches. That is being unattached. To feel passionately and fully experience the moments and yet not be attached to them. To be able to let moments go, when they no longer are present, and just go from moment to moment, emotion to emotion, lightly, gently, an ever-changing flow of event and circumstance, and no attachment to outcome, or preference for attraction or aversion. "Angels fly because they take themselves lightly." - G. K. Chesterton

    ReplyDelete